Battery of Questions: Family Interview
1. ABOUT THE CHILD
3. No. of siblings?
4. Any specially close ties to one or several siblings?
2. CHILD’S HOME
- out in the country (population less than 500)
- village (population approx. 500-2,000)
- small town (population approx. 2,000 - 5,000)
- town (population approx. 5,000 - 20,000)
- major town (population approx. 20,000 - 200,000)
- capital city
2. Type of home?
- terraced house
- Home status?
- home ownership
- rented accommodation
3. THE CHILD’S TOYS
List some of the toys you play with - you are welcome to mention many things you now use when you play.
Name, manufacturer/brand, approx. age of the toy.
4. THE CHILD’S TOY COLLECTION
1. Do you draw, cut out and stick all kinds of worthlessthings together with other toys in order to play with them?
- maybe with other toys?
- or only in order to play with them?
- (worthless: paper, toilet rolls, pictures cut out of magazines, cardboard boxes, etc.)
2. Do you have a personal computerat home?
3. How much timedo you spend on it?
- I play with it every day
- I play with it several times a week
- I play with it once a week
- I play with it now and again
4. What do you play on it?
- drawingand writing
5. Which gamesdo you play at the moment?
5. CHILD’S ATTITUDE TO TOYS
1. Which toy is your favourite?
2. How old were you when you received it?
3. Tell me about the occasion on which you received it.
4. How old was the toy when you received it?
- brand new
- old/antique (i.e. more than 25 years old)
5. Do you play with the toy together with other toys?
6. With which other toys do you play with your favourite toy?
6. ABOUT THE CHILD’S FAVOURITE TOY
1. Name and type?
2. Have you given the toy a nickname? What is it called?
3. Is there any special reason, cause or story behind the name?
4. Toy’s production form?
- industrial manufacture
- hand-made by craftsmen
- hand-made by a friend or familymember
- made by the child himself
- natural materials
- plastic and other materials
6. Do you have any stories to tall about the toy?
Tell me them/write them down!
7. Do you have a poem, a verse or song about the toy?
Read them out loud, sing them or write them down!
8. You are welcome to include drawings, a photo of the child with the toy!
- drawings of the toy, drawn by parents
- drawings of the toy, drawn by the child himself
- photos of the child and his toy(s)
7. EXTENT OF THE CHILD’S TOY COLLECTION
1. I have:
- a few toys (on a shelf or in a box)
- lots of toys (a bookshelf full of toys or several boxes)
- many, many toys (several bookshelves or boxes)
2. I receive toys:
- for Christmas
- for my birthday
- when I am well-behaved
- when I have to be homealone
- from my grandparents when they visit
- from visitors to the house
- when I ask for them
- when I have saved up enough money to buy them
8. WHERE ARE THE TOYS KEPT?
1. I have my own room?
2. My toys are in my own room?
3. My toys are kept in different places around the house?
4. I am responsible for keeping my toys in order?
5. I tidy my toys up after me?
6. My Mum and/or Dad and my toys?
- my Mum and/or my Dad play with me too?
7. How often do we play together?
- often, several times a week
- only at weekends
- now and again, a couple of times a week
- seldom, on special occasions, Christmas, birthdays
9. HOW DO YOU PLAY WITH YOUR FAVOURITE TOY?
1. How often?
- every day
- several times a week
- once a week
2. How long do you play with it at a time?
3. How many play participants are there?
- I play alone
- more than two
- if more than two, how many?
4. How do you play with the toy? (tell a story or write about it)
5. How does the game end? (tell me or write it down: “when …!!)
10. TOYS I WANT AND TOYS I HATE?
1. Is there any particular toy you would like to own but haven’t yet received? (if the answer is NO, go to question 4.)
2. Which toy is that? (name)
3. Why haven’t you received it yet? (explain)
4. (If answer to question 1 was NO) Do you own a toy you don’t like? (If the answer is YES, go to question 5 - if the answer is NO, go to question 9)
5. YES, I do own a toy I don’t like! It is (name).
6. What don’t you like about it?
7. Who gave you the toy?
8. On what occasion did you receive it? Tell me about it!
9. Where is the toy now?
11. MY PLAYMATES AND TOYS
1. My playmates?
- I don’t have any
- siblings and friends
2. Do you often play fights or battles with other children?
3. If YES, do you use toy weaponsor “instruments of war”?
4. If YES, did you buy the toy weaponsin a toy store?
5. Do you often play different gameswith your Mum or Dad?
6. Name the gamesyou play with Mum and/or Dad? Name several!
7. Do you often play gameswith your Mum and/or Dad?
8. If YES, which gamesdo you play with your Mum and/or Dad? Name several!
9. Have you any pet animals? (mouse, hamster, rabbit, dog, cat, etc.) Name it/them!
12. and 13. PARENTS AND THEIR ATTITUDE TO TOYS
I am: - MUM! - DAD!
2. No. of siblings?
4. Profession/job? - Explain in a few words what your job entails.
5. Are you currently on maternity or sabbatical leave?
6. Are you currently unemployed?
7. Do you work at home? Weekly hours of work at home?
8. Weekly working hours away from home?
9. No. of days holiday per year?
10. Your hobbyor interests?
Tell me what you are interested in - regardless of whether it is sport, an interest, organised work, the family, something you collect, a practical or theoretical interest - tell me all about it!
11. You have
- Very little timefor your hobbies and interests?
- Reasonable time- ample time for your interests and hobbies?
12. What is your attitude to the future? Tell me about it!
13. PARENTS’ ATTITUDES TO TOYS
I am : - Mum! - Dad!
Parents’ own childhood toys
Tell me about your favourite toy when you were a child - regardless of whether it was bought, inherited or home-made.
1. Your most cherished/favourite toy? (when you were between three and ten years old)
2. How old were you when you received the toy?
3. On what occasion did you receive the toy?
4. How old was the toy when you received it?
5. Did you play with the toy together with other toys?
6. If YES, did you allow other children to play with your favourite toy?
7. Who was allowed to play with it?
- both playmatesand siblings
8. Is the toy still in existence?
9. If YES, where? Tell me about it!
The parents’ attitude to modern toys and play
10. What kinds of toys do you prefer your child to play with?
11. What kinds of advertisingor recommendations for toys do you prefer?
- child chooses toys himself
- recommended by a friend/playmate
- recommended by school/institution
- brochuresand (Christmas) catalogues
12. What kinds of toys do you think develop your child’s abilities and fantasy?
13. What do you think a child should learn when he plays with his toys?
14. Prioritise what you think is most important about toys?
- dolls and role play
- animalfigures and their life and function
- recycling, toolsand accessories in small and “actual” size
- constructiontoys and toy systems
- natural objects and materials
15. Which is “the world’s best toy”?